What will you do with all your jam recordings?

I wonder if making a bandcamp album with a selection of tracks is a good idea.
I mean, in my case it’s just digital piano recordings, it’s not the real deal, specially for piano solo. And there are mistakes. But I find the exercise artistically interesting, and that some people might be interested in such an album. Something like a sketches compilation, not a big and ambitious album, but still.

Of course the real deal would be something like practising for weeks and then go in a studio and release that material, but that’s way more demanding and WAY more expensive, and it’s not the spirit of Jamuary.

Thoughts ?

2 Likes

I intend to return to like a “top 10” of mine and work them into more focused and interesting pieces. All of them are Ableton Live projects that I can return to with relative ease to keep refining them.

Then I’ll cull half of the reworked tracks again into the really best cuts and get an EP out. This will likely take all of February but it means I should be able to have a really nice release in Q1 2023 of essentially all new material.

As always, we shall see, we’re not out of the woods with Jamuary yet and keeping this breakneck pace is already proving quite challenging to me :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Challenging it is.

returns to piano

1 Like

Immortalise them on YouTube or SoundCloud then delete and move on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Write a cutscene in my editor to make this whole ordeal part of Carf his lore, probably stream and play the most dancable song in my club and bundle them all together for a free bandcamp album.

1 Like

We as creators have a different perspective on things. It’s hard to judge the quality of my own music as it is just a thing I am used at and know how I want it to sound. From a listeners perspecive it could be totally different and there might be a lot of people out there who enjoy something that is not fully produced and dares to sound different and could even inspire others!

3 Likes

I’m already posting my favorites into a bandcamp album which I’ll let fly at the end of the month. The rest I’ll probably just leave on my soundcloud until I need the space.

2 Likes

I like BandCamp for less polished stuff… if I follow an artist and they release an album of jams I would listen and buy for sure!

This year my jams are all over the place, so I’m not sure what I’ll do. There’s one jam where I used a looper pedal and the ukulele that I really like, I’ll probably make a video performing it.

2 Likes

On one level, it’s just my new year’s resolution to do it so it doesn’t matter.

But, my actual plan is that these are working out techniques that will be the basis of a drone album and maybe a more melodic album. We’ll see. I might use snippets from recordings. They’re all labelled and ready in Logic, but I am not sweating it. I’m just “recording practice” right now.

2 Likes

Yeah, gonna do about the same. I really like some ideas in my jams and I see the potential of them becoming a full tracks but surely they need more work on orchestration, arrangement, sound design, etc.

2 Likes

I still have one issue to solve before I even can go back to my old hardware saves… So far I have not been able to get my Midi banks in such a way that it also truly saves which patch I used… Half my synths seem to ignore bank commands and the two Modals simply reset themself upon every single time STOP is pressed, resetting all settings… It’s the joy of hardware…

My adventure into hardware has only been since 2years and now I know ho I’ve been SPOILED with +25 years of software and how simpe things are VS real wired hardware, Midi CC and all other settings :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, software is better in so many ways: presets, full control, clear visual representation of what you’re doing.
On the other hand, with hardware you just turn it on, press a key and, voila, you’re already playing a pattern in less time than a computer powers up.
Ideally, one needs both. Or to be so good in one of them that you don’t need the other

2 Likes

Totally agreeing with all points but what I found for myself is that I can express myself a whole lot different with my synths. The way I write in my studio is still the same way as I write my software. to me, nothing can beat that sweet sweet FlStudio pianoroll. It’s my tool which I can use to translate my ideas into readable info for my devices. I basicly use the synths like I would have used VST’s but the feeling from touching the knobs vs mouse/keyboard is such a world of difference in expression. Also going through patches and trying to find new sounds and upload them (with Windows 95 software lol) is making the production adventure such a different journey.

I really gained more respect for the people who used these devices in early 2000 (speaking about my JP8000 and AN1X now) as I now understand the struggles they dealt with back then.

But most important to me is, even if it is more complex, it also gives me more complexity in return :wink:

Recording the band feels so different than just rendering an MP3

But… In the end… It is all about the end result.

2 Likes

Very well put out. It’s like a difference between jamming together with a band and producing a song.

Eventually I will get where I want to be, as soon as I have got the Midi CC setup correctly I can write and open longer sessions in the midi studio. I’m almost where I want to be… Just those few little issues, but I don’t want to tweak anything during Jamuary, after that it’s time to really get it working in full as I had in mind 2 years ago.

I have already learned a good handfull of new tricks this month!

I commit myself to make each single jam into a fully finished track. The idea is to practice all steps of the production and select the favorites at the very end.
Since day 3 I use a Zoom H6 to record all jams in 3 to 6 tracks. Already started to import some of the stems to Ableton where I will possibly add things and turn the jams into tracks.
Depending on the outcome I will release an EP or Album later this year.

3 Likes

Jamuary for me has been a month of practice. This project has actually been a few years in the making, in terms of conceptualization, planning, gear acquisition, and now practice. My plan is to start live streaming weekly come February or March – once I get all the little details sorted and figure out a schedule I can commit to.

My jams will probably sit unlisted on my YT for the time being. I may make them public at some point, I’m not sure. Depends on how things go, I suppose, and if there’s any interest to see how things started (assuming the project grows in a way I hope). The basic idea is that my livestream sets will be pretty much the same as these, so if you like what I’ve been doing def give me a follow on YT or IG for more. :slight_smile:

https://www.instagram.com/friendlypartytown/

(Idk yet for sure if I’ll stream on Twitch or YT, but I’m quite certain if I don’t stream on YT at least the VODs will go up there).

2 Likes

I’ll probably pick my favorites from the recordings, and if I feel like there’s enough, master them and release on Bandcamp.

2 Likes

I might switch all of the tracks and the Jamuary Playlist on soundlcloud to “public”. Other than that, I’ve developed a nice habit that is a good way to chill, so I’ll probably squeeze out a few jams a week, just for fun.

2 Likes

As a non musician I have probably reached my glass ceiling in what more I can do with mine, so they will remain on YouTube to be remembered like tears in the rain!

1 Like